This Tuesday the kids and I went blueberry picking with my mom, my sister Angie and her kids. It was a picture perfect afternoon. The weather was cool and breezy - amazing for the last day of June. The farm we went to was only 40 minutes away and was very family friendly. The kids could pick and there was also plenty of room for running around and playing while the adults continued picking. It was a wonderful opportunity, too, for me to "catch up" with my mom and sister, while at same time picking berries! It was so relaxing. If the weather cooperates, I hope to go back next week and do some more picking. There were plenty of berries that were just beginning to ripen and should now be ready for picking. I hope there are still some left! We came home with 12 pints of berries and have enjoyed several blueberry treats over the week and will feast again today on some more!
This is my favorite blueberry dessert recipe. It is delightful!
BLUEBERRY POUND CAKE
* 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
* 3/4 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 1 egg
* 1/3 cup milk or 1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
* 1 cup fresh blueberries (you could also use frozen)
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup butter, cubed
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (very important!)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
3. To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.